Sunday, October 19, 2008

Less than 3 months to go...

It's hard to believe it's mid-late October already. We've been staying pretty busy lately, as always. Last week and this week, I'm teaching classes (Faith and Science, Ecclesiology) for my professor while he's out of town, in addition to working on my online Natural Family Planning classes and working at the church.

We've been going to our Bradley natural childbirth classes for three weeks now. We've learned mostly about exercises and nutrition so far. Josh and I work together everyday to do exercises that strengthen the muscles needed to give birth and to build stamina for such an athletic event. This also includes some relaxation techniques, which is necessary to practice since we tend to tense up our muscles when we feel pain. By practicing these techniques, I can learn to relax in spite of pain, which will prevent further unnecessary pain and allow my body to work as it should during birth. Regarding nutrition, I've been counting my protein intake since pregnant women really need 80-100 grams of protein a day. This is sometimes a daunting task, but I've been able to get to 80g (or close) most days. Having a well-balanced diet and getting enough protein can nearly eliminate problems such as toxemia (pre-eclampsia), premature rupture of membranes (PROM), and hypovolema during pregnancy. It also leads to easier labor and less complications at birth, not to mention a healthier baby with better brain development and fewer infections.

My 28 week appointment with our midwife is tomorrow, so if there's anything to update after that, I'll try to do it this week.

No comments: